Friday, February 27, 2009

Past Paintings

I felt that some sort of background would be necessary in order to see where I started with my art and how it has matured and progressed into something completely different. I realize that some of these may seem "deep" but I assure you, I didn't put much thought or feeling into any of these. I also am far too lazy to look any actual information up on these, so I'll leave the dimensions up to your imagination. :)
Acrylic
It looks like something that should've been spray painted. I like how loud the colors are, but I must admit, it is cliche. And pretty boring. I'm willing to admit this isn't very good. There's no importance behind it anyway.

Acrylic and Charcoal
An abstraction of my best friend Katie, with a somewhat accurate sketch to contrast next to it. I like it. I built up a heavy piece of watercolor paper with pieces of foamboard and cardstock. It was lots of fun.

Acrylic, charcoal, and oil pastels
This is simply a depiction of physical torture. I don't know what I was getting at. I'm still kind of fond of it, though.

Charcoal and acrylic
I attempted to depict that even when removing the blindfold-- whether literal or not-- from our eyes, we are still blind to what we choose not to be able to see. Ignorance is a choice, in my opinion.

Mixed media
A piece against animal cruelty. It's elementary and not very good, but it holds a place in my heart. I like it.

Oils
These panels are actually not in my possession. I left them at highschool after someone offered to buy them. I don't know why I reacted that way, but I don't regret leaving it. I know I could do much better now if I chose to. This is my very first time messing with oils. Sometimes life has a hold on you, and you can't do anything about it. You're a puppet on strings no matter how much you delude yourself with thoughts of freedom and choice.

Charcoal and pigment sticks
I don't know where I was going with this. I think it may have been because I was feeling suffocated or smothered at the time. It's just a doodle on a wrinkled piece of brown paper I got in a package from someone. Resourceful, right?

Oils
My latest painting, a portrait of two of my mother's friends. I feel like I could probably have done better if I devoted the proper amount of time to something as delicate. (They loved it, she cried.) While portraiture is boring, I think I enjoy it to a degree.

3 comments:

  1. Your art work is Fabulous! You aren't boring -anything but! All of your work is deep - but now you have me worried that your too remose!! You are far too young - bright and talented to have sufferred the pain some of your pictures depict! Your sculpture is wonderful and I will help do your roomate in for breaking it!!! Can you fix it? I love everything you have done!!! The piano is too cool and of course you will give me the one of Katie one day - I know - just before you expire right? I am so PROUD of your work! You will be a famous artist one day - I know it! Love You!!! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ester, What a wonderful surprise! I am blown away by the depth of your expression. However, as a counselor I was concerned about the morose nature in some of your pieces. Apparently, we need to send more chocolate. Maybe this is due to the nature of being a college student and the freedom to explore the TRUE nature of being.Look up Kathe Kollwitze , a german expressionist, and one of the all time best artist as well as all abstract expressionists. NO more negative comments on this blog... YOU are way ahead of your time.Art will never leave YOU alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ester.. all your work is SO good.
    Seriously.
    My favorite piece is the painting with the piano keys.
    You are much better than you give yourself credit for.
    :)
    You should at least minor in art.

    ReplyDelete